Sunday, April 17, 2011

This time I don't plan to get lost... it just...Happens!

I borrowed the Kia S.U.V this time... not chancing anything... green car (97 Tracer) is on strike.
Grabbed the camera case,  and got on the road at 9am Sunday (God, I will see ya NEXT week).
I headed out to Woodland Park, CO w/ the intentions to drive down to this cute little recreation spot called GREEN MNT FALLS. A place w/ a  (island) gazebo and ducks, kids playing and old timers fishing.
This is stop #1 for pictures... I like this gazebo.

After a short pit stop, its on the road again. Got gas in W. Park. Then decisions decisions....
Rte 67? Towards Camp Elim and such? or Rte 67 in opposite direction towards Cripple Creek? Windy roads w/ no guard rails to keep me from going off a cliff... not, uh uh, hayell no!
Wilkerson's Pass?  Hmmm maybe!

Rte 24 again.. towards the pass....I see SH 25! I pull another U-ey (see my previous blog about these) and I am on the cute lil road.

Dirt in some spots, but noone around. I take my time to drive this.. I have no time limit today. Its not a long "detour" as Its ends back on Rte 24. ok. cool!

Next sign..TARRYALL!  OK, Now this is calling to me... I pull another U-ey...me likes U-eys!!!!
Windy paved roads.. my faves!  Only...  Yup.... doesn't stay paved long... a few frost heaves** here and there.
I see a sweet couple of "overlooks" after a while... WHOA! NICE!
Complete w/ old abandoned shacks, and fences in distance, and windy Tarryall Creek! This was once a Gold prospecting spot... more on this history later.

I twist around bend after bend... and I am trying to decide...Turn around? Keep going? until I see this as I keep driving....

Good decision Keri!!! Now I know I must keep going!

Now the roads are all dirt and gravel.. I switch to 4WD and go!
Hours pass....still on windy dirt roads... and 2 reservoirs... civilization!
Keep going... and look what's up ahead at the end of the road..

SWEET!!!!!!

After I take in the sounds and a few pictures... I decide.. I've been on this road long enough...... BUT It's not done w/ me as it seems.
This is an old Ghost town by the way.. so I saw a few up close buildings from an old past lifetime.


Ahh. I am in heaven!... 
well, until I realize - I am NEVER LEAVING THIS DIRT ROAD!



I came across a crossroads eventually.. "Oh Great, Which way now Dorothy???
Dorothy: Now which way do we go?
Scarecrow: Pardon me, this way is a very nice way.
Scarecrow: [points other way] It's pleasant down that way, too.
Dorothy: That's funny. Wasn't he pointing the other way?
Scarecrow: [points both ways] Of course, some people do go both ways.

As I am literally praying for a sign of which way to go... an older couple pull up beside me.. (I'd have thrown myself  front of them to get them to stop) and they showed me the way home.

6 and 1/2 hours later.. I am home! Kia needs a Bath!

**Frost heaves- roads get buckled by ice forming on and in cracks of the road, and these expand.. creating ripples in paved streets.. damaging them.

No comments:

Post a Comment